Monday, April 10, 2006

Stretching the Limits

My apartment's a mess as I plot my Escape from Hollywood. Then it will be into the depths of Koreatown. Seems like the right cover for the lead singer of DMZ//38, and owner of Taegukki Records. Am having more fun than anticipated getting the foundation of the label set up, and imagining a future where I might be in a position to assist other up and coming artists. We Korean Americans are caught between a thriving Korean pop music industry and a deluge of contemporary US major label "entertainment" neither of which speaks directly to our experiences or questions the status quo substantially. I continue to draw inspiration from hip-hop labels from Def Jam to Guerrilla Funk and All Good Music that have demonstrated that independent success is possible. But first things first, still lots of work getting the album completed and the groundwork laid for a strong debut.

No comments: