Monday, November 21, 2005

New Day Rising

Everywhere I turn, it's a ball of confusion...that's all the world is today. We become a monster so the monster will not overtake us. The best of times, the worst of times, hope you have the time of your life.

Apparently one of the signs of impending madness is heightened narcissism and increased self-absorption. Not a very comforting thought. Yet lately I've been discovering new sources of strength and inspiration. Daily meditation is helping with maintaining some mental clarity, as well as balancing vision and practical focus. Looking for a "day" techie job lately is reminding me of so many reasons I left that scene in the first place...bureaucracy, conformity, boredom, stifling of free expression. I think it's the same kind of environment that breeds the attitudes behind road rage, domestic violence, mindless consumerism, might=right.

How many people know about the pending execution of Stanley "Tookie" Williams? This man, who helped found the notorious Crips gang in the early 70's, is facing imminent death at the hands of the State of California even though his life story (featured in the film "Redemption" starring Jamie Foxx) vividly illustrates the ability of individuals to consciously change patterned behavior. Though approached by several major publishers to write exploitative stories glorifying gang violence, he instead authored a series of childrens' books warning of the perils of the "thug" lifestyle so to speak, saving countless lives in the process, and was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. This Thanksgiving, sign the petition and pray that Gov. Schwarzenegger does the right thing and grants Stanley Williams clemency.

On a lighter note, the weather right now in Los Angeles reminds me of why I dragged my butt here in the first place...just phenomenal! I've been too busy to even notice that the latest Harry Potter movie (my favorite story in the series) just came out. Do You Believe in Magic??

No comments: